Independent Assurance Report
(Translation from the Finnish original)
To the Management of Lemminkäinen Corporation
We have been engaged by the Management of Lemminkäinen Corporation to perform a limited assurance engagement on the numeric information on economic, social and environmental responsibility for the reporting period January 1, 2013 to December 31, 2013, disclosed in the Annual Report 2013 of Lemminkäinen Corporation (hereinafter “Responsibility Reporting”).
The Management of Lemminkäinen Corporation is responsible for preparing the Responsibility Reporting in accordance with the Reporting criteria as set out in the Lemminkäinen Corporation reporting instructions and the G3.1 Sustainability Reporting Guidelines of the Global Reporting Initiative.
Our responsibility is to express a conclusion on the Responsibility Reporting based on our work performed. Our assurance report has been made in accordance with the terms of our engagement. We do not accept, or assume responsibility to anyone else, except to Lemminkäinen Corporation for our work, for this report, or for the conclusions that we have reached.
We conducted our work in accordance with the International Standard on Assurance Engagements (ISAE) 3000 “Assurance Engagements Other than Audits or Reviews of Historical Financial Information”. This Standard requires that we comply with ethical requirements and plan and perform the assurance engagement to obtain limited assurance whether any matters come to our attention that cause us to believe that the Responsibility Reporting has not been prepared, in all material respects, in accordance with the Reporting criteria.
In a limited assurance engagement the evidence-gathering procedures are more limited than for a reasonable assurance engagement, and therefore less assurance is obtained than in a reasonable assurance engagement. An assurance engagement involves performing procedures to obtain evidence about the amounts and other disclosures in the Responsibility Reporting. The procedures selected depend on the practitioner’s judgement, including an assessment of the risks of material misstatement of the Responsibility Reporting. Our work consisted of, amongst others, the following procedures:
- Interviewing senior management of Lemminkäinen Corporation
- Visiting the Head Office of Lemminkäinen Corporation as well as four sites in Finland
- Interviewing employees responsible for collection and reporting of the information presented in the Responsibility Reporting at the Lemminkäinen Group level and at the different sites where our visits took place
- Assessing how Lemminkäinen Group employees apply the Lemminkäinen Corporation reporting instructions and procedures
- Testing the accuracy and completeness of the information from original documents and systems on a sample basis
- Testing the consolidation of information and performing recalculations on a sample basis.
Based on our work described in this report, nothing has come to our attention that causes us to believe that the Responsibility Reporting has not been prepared, in all material respects, in accordance with the Reporting criteria. When reading our assurance report, the inherent limitations to the accuracy and completeness of sustainability information should be taken into consideration.
Helsinki, 7 March, 2014
Authorised Public Accountant